Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Never get lost again without a GPS - Google My Location knows where you are

Google has launched "My Location" where they use triangulation of cell towers to guess where you are. I'm testing it right now and it might be a bit challenging for a place like Manhattan with lots and lots of towers - but at least if you get wasted in Southern Kansas you'll know with an accuracy of up to 5,000 meters where you're at!
I spoke about the accuracy of GPS to Doug Klein at Lightpole last month in San Francisco and he cited a Motorola research trial in which GPS-enabled phones actually worked properly in only 20% of cases because most usage occurred indoors! And as most know, once your GPS is logged out, it takes 1-2 minutes to get back into the network.

read more | digg story

0 comments:

My Personal DNA

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro